October 21, 2011

Skim Board and a Brooch

The two boys on the photo below, Sam and Joshua, are representatives of the grade 8 Woodworking class of Rehoboth Christian School. They came to visit me to make a presentation on behalf of their class: a painted and signed skim board. For those of you who don’t know (sigh), a skim board is something you throw into the surf at the ocean, you run and jump on it, and then skim along the sea foam of an incoming wave. This particular skim board is painted with the RCS lighthouse and has the “Grace is Sufficient” text from II Corinthians 12:9 at the top. On the back are the signatures of all the students in the Woodworking class with little messages to me below each signature. I don’t think I will be using it to skim with, it is far too nice for that! I think I’ll put a hook at the back and hang it in the house somewhere so I can see it every day. It’s a great piece of art work. Thanks for the great visit boys!
 
 
The Brooch
On a previous blog I wrote that we attended a dinner to raise money for ALS Research. We were there with 10 people (5 couples) from our school community, one of whom was Sam and his mom. Throughout the evening, Sam kept leaving the table every 10 minutes. I was wondering why but when I asked him, he told me that he was bidding on a brooch at the silent auction. We left the dinner before we heard the final outcome on the auction. Well, today we found out that Sam ended up being the highest bidder on the brooch. All along he was trying to make sure that he could buy the brooch for my wife Lena. Today, he made the presentation (along with the skim board). As you can see from the picture, Lena is proudly wearing the brooch on her neck scarf.
 
Thank-you Sam. You are a wonderful, determined, thoughtful young man. God bless you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment