October 26, 2011

Cultivating a Sense of the Eternal

I just finished reading a book by Randy Alcorn titled: In light of Eternity. This book has many helpful quotes from various authors that direct our thoughts heavenward and that I would like to share with you. It may help to increase our thinking and living from an eternal perspective.

 * * * * * * * * *
“It is since Christians have ceased to think of the other world that they have become so ineffective in this one.” (C.S. Lewis)
“If there be so certain and glorious a rest for the saints, why is there no more industrious seeking after it? One would think, if a man did but once hear of such unspeakable glory to be obtained, and believed what he heard to be true, he should be transported with the vehemency of his desire after it, and should almost forget to eat and drink, and should care for nothing else, and speak of and inquire after nothing else, but how to get this treasure. And yet people who hear of it daily, and profess to believe it as a fundamental article of their faith, do as little mind it, or labor for it, as if they had never heard of any such thing, or did not believe one word they hear.” (Richard Baxter, 1649, The Saints Everlasting Rest)
“Let temporal things serve your use, but the eternal be the object of your desire.” (Thomas a Kempis)
“I judge all things only by the price they shall gain in eternity.” (John Wesley)
John D. Rockefeller was one of the wealthiest men who ever lived. After he died his accountant was asked, “How much money did John D leave?” His reply was classic: “He left...all of it.”
“You’ll never see a hearse pulling a U-haul.”
“Any temporal possession can be turned into everlasting wealth. Whatever is given to Christ is immediately touched with immortality.” (A.W. Tozer)
“I have held many things in my hands and I have lost them all. But whatever I have placed in God’s hands , that I still possess.” (Martin Luther)
On his deathbed D.L. Moody said, “Soon you will read in the newspaper that I am dead. don’t believe it for a moment. I will be more alive than ever before.”
“Our Father refreshes us on the journey with some pleasant inns, but will not encourage us to mistake them for home.” (C.S. Lewis)
“There have been times when I think we do not desire heaven, but more often I find myself wondering whether, in our heart of hearts, we have ever desired anything else... Your place in heaven will seem to be made for you and you alone, because you were made for it stitch by stitch as a glove is made for a hand.” (C.S. Lewis)
“The church is constantly being tempted to accept this world as her home...but if she is wise she will consider that she stands in the valley between the mountain peaks of eternity past and eternity to come. The past is gone forever and the present is passing as swift as the shadow on the sundial of Ahaz. Even if the earth should continue a million years not one of us could stay to enjoy it. We do well to think of the long tomorrow.” (A.W. Tozer)
John Wesley was shown around a vast plantation by a proud landowner. They rode their horses all day and saw only a fraction of the estate. When they sat down to dinner the man said eagerly, “Well, Wesley, what do you think?” Wesley pondered the question, then replied, “I think you’re going to have a hard time leaving all this.”
“Earth has no sorrow that heaven cannot heal.” (Sir Thomas Moore)
“If you’re a Christian suffering with great pains and losses, take cheer (John 16:33). The new house is almost ready for you. Moving day’s coming. The dark winter is about to be magically transformed into spring. Soon you will be home.” (Randy Alcorn, In Light of Eternity, p.163)
“I must keep alive in myself the desire for my true country, which I shall not find till after death; I must never let it get snowed under or turned aside; I must make it the main object of life to press on to that other country and to help others to do the same.” (C.S. Lewis)

2 comments:

  1. I recently had a "near death" experience. I can testify that Jesus' arms are the most secure and loving place to be. I know I have been given more time on this earth to do His Will but there are many times that I am jealous of you Jack. You are on your way home!

    ReplyDelete