March 12, 2012

This Earth is Not Our Rest - J.C. Ryle

There is such a place as heaven. No truth is more certain in the whole of Scripture than this - there remains a rest for the people of God. This earth is not our rest - it cannot be - there breathes not a man or woman who ever found it so. Go, build your happiness on earth, if you are so disposed; choose everything you can imagine would make life enjoyable - take money, house, and lands; take learning, health, and beauty; take honor, rank, respect, and many friends; take everything your mind can picture or your eyes desire. Take it all, and yet I dare to tell you, that even then you would not find rest. I know well that in a few short years, your heart's confession would be - "It is all hollow, empty, and unsatisfying! It is all weariness and disappointment! It is all vanity and frustration!" I well know that you would feel within a hungering and famine, a leanness and barrenness of soul; and ready indeed would you be to bear your testimony to the mighty truth, "This earth is not our rest!" ~ J.C. Ryle

1 comment:

  1. A great evangelist said, we are immortal until our work is done according to God's perfect plan. The Apostle wrote to his dear Timothy in his second letter, chapter 4, "For I am now ready to be offered, and the time of my departure is at hand. 7I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith: 8Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing."

    May we be given the grace to confess the same with assurance when the Lord says, well done, my child. Come home.

    ReplyDelete