February 24, 2012

God of the Valleys

In our last blog we wrote about the valley of affliction. The following Lord's day. Dr.G.M.Bilkes preached a sermon in our church based on 1 Kings 20 vs.28, "..Thus saith the Lord, Because the Syrians have said, The Lord is God of the hills, but he is not God of the valleys, therefore will I deliver all this great multitude into thine hand, and ye shall know that I am the Lord." 

The theme of the sermon was,"The Folly of Limiting the Lord". The Syrians had their own gods and believed that the god of Israel only had power in the hills so they decided to fight the battle in the valley. They were sure they would win there, but God displayed His limitless power and gave Israel a great victory in the valley, thereby proving that He is not only God of the mountains but also of the valleys. God is not only present in the spiritual "mountains" or good times,of our lives but He is also there for us when we are in the valleys, or times of trials or affliction. God is omnipresent, He is everywhere and never leaves his people or forsakes them.

This sermon was especially comforting to me because as I will be heading into another valley, the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I do not need to be afraid: for He promises that He will be with me and will comfort me. "Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever," Psalm 23

If you would like to listen to the whole sermon, here is the link to it.
http://www.sermonaudio.com/sermoninfo.asp?m=t&s=219122315426

3 comments:

  1. My Dad had mentioned you guys before, but I didn't realise you had a blog. We are praying along side you guys. Sometimes life can be so difficult here, but thankfully we can look forward to heaven! With my Dad having cancer (John Van Woerden) and reading some of your daughters entries has been so uplifting. It feels so good for someone to understand what we're all going through. God is so faithful! We've seen this when my mother in law passed away from cancer 3 years ago. We will pray for you! May God give you peace. Love from Stephanie and Chad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear brother Jack, I will pray for you that your faith fail not. Be comforted brother, it is the Valley of the Shadow of Death, only the shadow of death and then the Promised Land as written in Revelation 22: 3 And there shall be no more curse: but the throne of God and of the Lamb shall be in it; and his servants shall serve him:4 And they shall see his face; and his name shall be in their foreheads. 5 And there shall be no night there; and they need no candle , neither light of the sun; for the Lord God giveth them light : and they shall reign forever and ever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jack I was prompted to check your blog this morning and find that the brothers and sisters in the Lord praying alongside you are from my neck of the woods. God is so amazing. Stephanie is a dear sister in Christ who goes to BSF with me:) I can now pray for her and her Dad, John as well.
    This morning I was reading a passage in 2 Corinthians 9:6-15 and it is about giving to others. It is about giving physical gift but as I re-read it I was struck by how much you are giving to us spiritually.
    As I go through my own valleys, I daily am reminded by my blue "grace is sufficient" bracelet that God is always with me through it - just like He obviously is with you. I thought others might enjoy thanking and praising God for you and your gift to us as they read this passage from 2 Corinthians 9:6-15
    "The point is this: whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows bountifully will also reap bountifully. Each one must give as he has made up his mind, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. And God is able to make all grace abound to you so that having all sufficiency in all things at all time, you may abound in every good work. As it is written 'He has distributed freely, he has given to the poor; his righteousness endures forever' He who supplies seed to the sower and bread for food will supply and multiply your seed for sowing and increase the harvest of your righteousness. You will be enriched in every way for all your generosity, which through us will produce thanksgiving to God. By their approval of this service, they will glorify God because of your submission flowing from your confession of the gospel of Christ, and the generosity of your contribution for them and for all others, while they long for you and pray for you, because of the surpassing grace of God upon you. Thanks be to God for his inexpressible gift!"
    We love you Jack and because of your gift to us we love our God more!
    Love Ineke

    ReplyDelete