December 11, 2011

HOUSE CALLS

It was 5:58 on a Friday evening when the phone rang. It was our doctor, under whose care our family has been for more than 33 years. He called to tell me that he was thinking about me a lot, and that he has been praying for me. I was very pleasantly surprised to get his call, out of the blue like that. He told me that he is of the old school of doctors, who are still willing to make house calls. He said that if I had any problems needing the help of a doctor, and had difficulty getting out, that I could call him any time and he would come over. I told him that this sounded like ‘Little House on the Prairie’, and thanked him for his kind consideration. He wished Lena and I a blessed celebration of Christmas, and invited us to come to the office to see him in the New Year.

The same week we received a card in the mail from a family friend, going back about 30 years. She is a dental hygienist who visits people in their homes or long term care facility when they can no longer get out to the dentist. Some of the the patients she has cared for have also suffered from ALS, so my condition is not new to her experience. She offered to come over to clean my teeth any time, for the price of a cup of coffee and a smile. I gladly accepted the offer and we have arranged for a visit.

We have had contact with several nurses from our community, who have offered nursing care for me or advice to Lena, if needed. As my condition slowly but steadily deteriorates, Lena will be needing support and training.


We both have also registered to be organ donors. One donor can save up to eight lives and can enhance the lives of up to 75 others. Fewer than 20% of adult Ontarians have registered. Every three days, one person in Ontario dies while waiting for an organ transplant. You can easily register online at BeADonor.ca. This might be something you want to consider.

2 comments:

  1. Please, before anyone signs their organ donor card, read the blog by fellow ALS sufferer, Chris VD. http://freereformednotesbycvd.blogspot.com/2008_10_19_archive.html
    Jack, thanks so much for bringing to the fore so many issues. We especially appreciate the gleanings and book reviews from your reading!
    God bless and strengthen you all, Jorina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Jack,
    Thank you for your comment on my blog. Yes indeed we have much in common even when it comes to our dear wives. Strong, yet so tender in their care each day again. However the best we have in common is the future. Jack I will continue to pray for you and Lena and that you will be able continue to run the race that is set before you and that you may do so with your eyes on Jesus Christ the author and finisher of our faith. Oh how precious He is in these times when we need Him in the trying hours and difficult days.
    Wishing you a most blessed Christmas and New Year.

    Lord, though I walk 'mid troubles sore,
    Thou wilt restore
    My faltering spirit;
    Though angry foes my soul alarm,
    Thy mighty arm
    Will save and cheer it.
    Yea, Thou wilt finish perfectly
    What Thou for me
    Hast undertaken;
    May not Thy works, in mercy wrought,
    E'er come to naught,
    Or be forsaken.

    ReplyDelete