October 4, 2013

Child of the King

In my mind, I travel back in time to nearly 50 years ago, to the Netherlands to visit my paternal grandparents (Westerink). My grandmother or Oma, was a short, round, smiling woman with facial features similar to my father. She was very open about her faith, and it radiated from her eyes. People who knew her knew that she loved and served the Lord. At her funeral service, the minister started by saying "Today we have come together to bury a child of the King".

My Oma was a covenant child, born again by the Spirit of God. She belonged with body and soul to King Jesus. My father, myself, and my three children are also covenant children saved by free and sovereign grace alone. My eleven grandchildren are also incorporated into that same covenant sealed by baptism. I pray for them every day, that God would remember His covenant promises to them, and apply His Word to their hearts, and make them His children through faith. That would be at least five generations of Westerink's who belong to the King.

Praise God from Whom all blessings flow
Praise Him ye creatures here below
Praise Hm above ye heavenly hosts
Praise Father, Son and Holy Ghost

Jack

No comments:

Post a Comment