September 30, 2011

Compassion Leave

Today was my last day at work. It's time to stay home and take care of Jack full time. I am officially on leave of absence as of Monday. It was such a relief once the decision was made and I know it was the right one. Knowing it was my last day, I tried to get as much done as possible before I left, feeling guilty that I was leaving them short staffed and always so much work to do. I sent off an email to my co-workers explaining that I would be leaving for an indefinite amount of time. At the end of the day, I put my "out of office" message on my work email and changed my voice mail message. I cleaned out my cupboards, took home two pairs of extra shoes, tea bags, almonds, hand lotions, wow you sure can accumulate a lot of things in your desk over the years! Carrying all my stuff and the two bottles of wine that my boss and his wife gave me for a good bye gift, I wondered how to say goodbye. "Goodbye, see you after my husband dies"? It sounds so.......so cold, so awful, but that's exactly the way it is. I just said "good-bye".

I came home to find Willem and Joni and the children at our house. They had been spending time with Opa. Willem, handyman that he is, had been fine tuning the electric wheelchair and it runs like a charm now. Titus, our oldest grandson, had just finished cutting the front and back lawns and was asking what else he could do to help. All our children have been so wonderful, so loving and helpful, bringing meals and baked goods, cleaning the house, doing errands, picking Jack up, helping out our elderly parents, and so much more. What a blessing it is to have children who love the Lord and who honour their parents. God has been so good to us. We are so undeserving of his rich blessings. I'm looking forward to watching Jack spend the rest of his life enjoying our family and friends. May we glorify God while doing it.

1 comment: