February 17, 2014

Another Tent Peg

The Apostle Paul often used the metaphor of a tent to illustrate the temporary, short term nature of our human body. A tent is a temporary dwelling, and it is often moved from place to place. That is why it is a good idea not to hammer the tent pegs in too deeply. My earthly tabernacle (tent) is slowly but surely being broken down, rope by rope, and peg by peg with the disease called ALS.

Body functions and abilities are slowly but steadily being taken away: walking, talking, using my arms and hands, the ability to drink, and chew. I get my hydration through a g tube inserted in my stomach. I have been eating pureed foods for the last year or so. But now this tent peg too must be pulled up. I don't seem to have the strength or the muscles to be able to swallow food very well. I am getting my food in a can now, Isosource 1.5 by g tube and an infusion pump. I have always enjoyed food, even the taste of it, but now I have to give that up too.

Although that makes me sad, and I have even mourned the loss of them, the Lord has given me the grace to submit to His way in my life and to kiss the rod of affliction. 

Moving forward and looking upward, not backward, for the best is yet to come!

Jack

2 comments:

  1. Dear brother, your last line is so convicting and comforting. Thank you again from one dying sinner to another for your perspective focused on Christ's work for us. Just this morning we prayed that the Lord would use your words to bless others. You have been used to bless me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how great is Thy goodness, which Thou hast laid up for them that fear Thee; which Thou hast wrought for them that trust in Thee before the sons of men! (Ps,31:19) Because Thy lovingkindness is better than life, my lips shall praise Thee.(Ps.63:3) For we know that if our earthly house of this tabernacle were dissolved, we have a building of God, an house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens!(2Kor.5:1) The Lord bless you!

    ReplyDelete